Recipe: Lentil Tomato Soup
Lentil Tomato Soup
Total Time: Approx. 35 minutes
- 1 white yellow or red onion diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 cups quartered Brussel sprouts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili flakes (more if you like spice)
- 7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28oz can) salt-free diced tomatoes with the juice
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 4 cups de-stemmed and chopped kale (approx. 1 large bunch)
- ¼ – ½ tsp ground black pepper (optional)
- Add the onion garlic carrot celery and Brussel sprouts to a pot with a splash of water. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the spices stir and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the broth tomatoes and lentils; simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped kale.
- Season with pepper if desired.
Tip: Soup will thicken after a day or two because the lentils will soak up more of the liquid. This soup will then become more like a stew.
Nutrition Information per serving size (1/6th of recipe) – Calories 126 Fat 1g Cholesterol 0g Sodium 222mg Potassium 512mg Carbohydrates 27g Fiber 9g Protein 9g