Recipe: Beet & Apple Salad in an Edible Walnut Salad Bowl
Edible Walnut Bowl
• 1 ½ cup walnuts
• ¼ cup ground flaxseeds
• 6 pitted dates
• 2 tbsp. aquafaba
• ½ tsp oil (coconut, flaxseed,
• 3 cups spring mix greens
• 1 apple, diced
• 1 beet, diced or spiralizer
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• ¼ cup walnuts
• ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette
• 1 tsp whole flaxseeds
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a food processor, add the walnut, ground flaxseeds, pitted dates. Pulse until the ingredients begin to come together to a fine consistency.
3. While the food processor is still running, very slowly pour in the aquafaba. Pulse for another 60 seconds before removing mixture from the processor.
4. Divide the mixture in half and place each half on a separate sheet of parchment paper. Roll each half into balls.
5. Lightly coat a nonstick rolling pin with a dab of oil. With the rolling pin, quickly
flatten out the ball.
6. Working from the inside out, gently flatten the crust to approximately ¼ inch
thickness. You don't want the crust to be too thin but you do want it to have a uniform thickness so it cooks evenly. Smooth any cracks with your fingers.
7. When ready, drape the parchment paper over a small, upside down, own-safe bowl to create your "bowl". Use your fingers to mend any cracks. Place the bowl on a
cookie sheet and cover the crust with a sheet of foil.
8. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 3 minutes.
What carefully to be sure the crust doesn't get too dark.
9. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, while still molded over the bowl. When the crust is completely cool, gently remove the parchment paper and set right side up.
10. Fill each salad bowl with spring mix, apples, beets, dried cranberries and walnuts. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkle with flaxseeds.
Nutrition Information per serving - Calories 470, Fat 32g (Sat. Fat 3.5g), Sodium 75mg,
Carbohydrates 45g, Fiber 9g, Protein 10g