Recipe: Mediterranean Kale, Cannellini and Farro Stew
Servings: 6 • Cook time: Approx. 40 minutes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 cup carrots diced
(about 2 medium)
• 1 cup chopped yellow onion
• 1 cup chopped celery (about 2)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 5 cups low-sodium
• 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
• 1 cup farro, rinsed
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ cup slightly packed
• 4 cups slightly packed chopped
kale, thick ribs removed
• 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans,
drained and rinsed
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• Feta cheese, crumbled, for
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and
celery and sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
3. Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, farro, oregano, and bay leaf.
4. Lay parsley in a mound on top of soup and bring soup to a boil.
5. Reduce heat just below medium, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Remove parsley, stir in kale and cook for 10-15 minutes, adding in
cannellini beans during last few minutes of cooking, until both farro
and kale are tender.
7. Remove bay leaf, stir in lemon juice and add additional vegetable broth
or some water to thin soup as desired (the farro will absorb more liquid
as the soup rests).
8. Serve warm, topping each serving with feta cheese if desired.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 256, Total Fat 5g (Saturated 1g,
Monounsaturated 3g, Polyunsaturated 1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 193mg, Potassium
288mg, Total Carbohydrates 40g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugar 3g, Protein 8g