Recipe: Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
Servings: 10 • Cook time: 4 hours (slow cooker)
• 1 lb mild or hot ground Italian
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• ½ cup finely diced onion or
1 medium onion, finely diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 41/2 cups chicken or vegetable
• 1 large cauliflower head, diced
into small florets
• 3 cups chopped kale
• ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• ½ tsp pepper
• ½ cup heavy cream
1. Brown the ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and place it into
at least a 6-quart slow cooker. Discard grease.
3. Place the oil in the same skillet and sauté the onions for 3-4
minutes or until translucent.
4. Add onions, chicken or vegetable stock, cauliflower florets,
kale, crushed red pepper flakes and pepper to the slow cooker.
Mix until combined.
5. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
6. Add the heavy cream and mix until combined.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 253, Total Fat 8g (Saturated 7g,
Monounsaturated 1g, Polyunsaturated 0g), Cholesterol 48mg, Sodium 521mg, Potassium
173mg, Total Carbohydrates 12g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugar 3g, Protein 12g