Recipe: Homemade Whole Wheat Biscuits
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup 1% milk
1. In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients. Mix well and whisk or fork.
2. Cut the ½ stick butter into little pea sized pieces and then mix the pieces into the flour mixture.
3. Using a fork or pastry blender, try to mash the butter pieces as you mix it together with the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Then pour in the milk and mix it all together. Knead the dough with your hands 8-10 time, and then turn out onto a floured surface.
5. Pat it out flat with your hands until the dough is a somewhat even ¾ inch thickness (sprinkle with a little flour if necessary).
6. Turn a drinking glass upside down and cut out biscuit rounds. Can also use shaped cookie cutters (heart, star, etc.).
Then place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet and bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Information per serving size - Calories 163, Fat 6g, Sodium 350mg,
Potassium 2mg, Cholesterol 16mg, Carbohydrates 24g, Fiber 4g, Protein 5g