Approx. 100 (1 inch) crackers
- 1 ½ cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place cheese, butter and flour into a food processor. Pulse, 5-6 times until the dough is in coarse crumbs.
3. Add the milk and process until the dough gathers together in a ball.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface with a rolling pin that has been floured until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Use a toothpick or skewer to poke a hole in the center of each cracker.
6. Place the crackers at least ¼ inch apart on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown.
8. Put the baking sheet on a rack and let the crackers cool completely.
9. Store in container or Ziploc bag to each within a few days.
Tip: Can substitute other cheese for the cheddar for a variety of flavors.
Nutrition Information per cracker - Calories 14, Total Fat 1g (Sat. Fat .5g),
Cholesterol 1.8mg, Sodium 10mg, Carbohydrates 0.7g, Protein .4g