Recipe: Ramen Bowl
Servings: Approx. 6
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or salt free chicken bouillon
- 1/8 cup light/reduced sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 green onions
- ½ - 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil
- 3 tbsp. light reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 8oz fresh mushrooms, halved or sliced
- 5-8oz baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 12oz ramen noodles
- 2 green onions, sliced
1. Add all ramen broth ingredients to a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Whisk together soy sauce, light brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a small bowl, set aside.
3. While broth is simmering heat oil in skillet over medium high heat quickly sauté shrimp for no more than 1 minute then add in the glaze cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes then remove skillet from heat and allow shrimp and glaze to rest.
4. Once ramen broth is done simmering, place a very large mixing bowl in sink and add a colander on top. Pour broth over the colander, straining the solids from the broth. Add pot back to the stove and carefully pour the broth from the mixing bowl back into the pot.
5. Add mushrooms to broth cooking for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add spinach and sesame oil, cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Add water to another pot and boil ramen noodles for 1 minute less than the package directions specify. Drain and divide among 4 bowls.
Top bowls with hot ramen broth with mushrooms and spinach, then add shrimp and green onions. Add any additional toppings: bean sprouts, radishes, eggs, etc..
Nutrition Information per serving size- Calories 419, Fat 10g, Sodium 812mg, Potassium 312mg, Cholesterol 142mg, Carbohydrates 58g, Fiber 2g, Protein 22g