Tobacco risks: Reasons to quit smoking
Up to ½ of all smokers can be expected to die from tobacco related illness. And there are many other reasons you should make it a priroity to quit smoking.
Why should I stop smoking?
- Expense: quitting would save you a lot of money immediately and avoid future medical costs
- Cosmetic Harm: smoke absolutely causes wrinkles aging your skin
- Addiction: Nicotine controls you and you lose your independence
- Toxic chemicals: both e-cigarettes & cigarettes contain benzene (a cancer causing chemical) cadmium (toxic to lungs and kidneys) and many others
- Effects of Nicotine
- Narrowing of blood vessels: restricts blood flow to brain and heart
- Thickening of blood: increased risk of blood clots resulting in stroke heart attack or sudden death
- Impairs insulin sensitivity - may lead to diabetes
- Malignancy: lung bladder throat mouth colon liver blood breast and skin amongst others
- Lung disease: COPD (emphysema & chronic bronchitis) asthma
- Increase in infection: decline in lung function can lead to pneumonia TB influenza
- Osteoporosis: smoking accelerates bone loss increasing fracture risk especially in hips
- Reproductive disorders: may cause problems such as erectile dysfunction spontaneous abortions and low birth weight in babies
- Dental disease: Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums)
- Post-operative complications: delayed wound healing lung complications
What should I do to quit smoking?
S = set a quit date
T = tell family and friends that you plan to quit
A = anticipate or plan ahead for the challenges of quitting
R = remove cigarettes and other tobacco products from your home care and work
T = talk to your medical provider about help to quit
Our clinic will provide advice on the best strategies to quit tobacco use and put you in touch with tobacco cessation resources. We can also provide medicines that will reduce cravings and unpleasant symptoms associated with smoking cessation.
Use of e-cigarettes or vaping is discouraged for these also contain nicotine and other substances that are harmful to your health.
Tips: Start exercising. Avoid smokers. Keep gum or hard candy to distract from cravings. If you start smoking again do not give up. Sometimes it takes a few tries before you succeed.
If you have never tried tobacco products please do not start. It will be the best decision for your health.
- You can request an appointment HERE.