Recipe: Skillet Barley with Kale & Eggs
Servings: 4 • Cook time: 30 minutes
• 1½ tbsp. olive oil
• 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
(about ½ cup)
• 1 jalapeno, minced (~2 tbsp)
• Ground black pepper to taste
• 1 cup pearled barley, raw
• 3½ cups homemade or
low-sodium vegetable broth
• 4 to 6 eggs
• 1 bunch curly kale, removed
from the stems and cut into
ribbons (~4 cups)
• 2 tsp zest and 1 tbsp fresh
• Grated parmesan cheese
• ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and jalapeno,
cook & stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Add barley to the pan
and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add the broth and adjust heat to maintain an active boil until most
of the liquid is absorbed and the barley has softened, about 15 minutes.
Season with pepper. Meanwhile, adjust a broiler rack to 6 inches from
the heat source and preheat broiler to high.
3. In batches, stir in the kale until wilted, and then add the lemon juice.
Drizzle the edges with olive oil and crack the eggs into the barley, spacing
them out. Place the pan under the broiler until the egg whites have set
and the yolks are still running, 5-6 minutes. Remove from the broiler,
season eggs with pepper, sprinkle with cheese, lemon zest and parsley.
Nutrition information per serving (approx. 1 ½ cup using 4 eggs): Calories 375,
Fat 12.8g (Saturated 3.6g, Polyunsaturated 2.2g, Monounsaturated 6.2g),
Cholesterol 192mg, Sodium 311mg, Potassium 556mg, Carbohydrates 51g,
Fiber 10.5g (Net Carbs 40.5g), Protein 16.6g