Recipe: Black Raspberry Pop Tarts
Servings: Approx. 15 (depending on size)
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
• 1 tsp salt (used 50% lower sodium)
• 2/3 cup pure lard
• 3-5 tbsp. ice cold water
• 1/3-1/2 cup sugar free jam
1. For the pastry: Mix flours and salt together in a large bowl. Add lard, using a pastry cutter, forks or fingers, cut the lard until mixed together with flour mixture. Add ice cold water 1 tbsp. at a time to the mixture; mix together until all ingredients come together, do not add to much water that the dough becomes sticky.
2. Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Divide the dough in half; wrap each half tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
3. To assemble the pop tarts, remove 1 chilled dough from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness. Take a biscuit cutter, cookie cutter or small glass to make several circles of dough or can also cut the dough out into several small rectangles. Place the circle or rectangle dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place a heaping tablespoon of the jam in the middle of the doughs on the baking sheet, making sure you leave space open around the edges. Place another dough sheet on top, then use your fingertips or a fork to firmly press around the edges to seal the pop tart on all sides. Poke holes in the tops of each filled pastry to allow the steam to escape.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 22-28 minutes or until they are golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Let the baked pop tarts cool on the pan for about 5minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Store pop tarts in an airtight container for 3 days a room temperature or refrigerator for
6 days. Can store in freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information per pop tart - Calories 154, Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4g,
Mono-unsaturated 3.5g and Polyunsaturated 1g), Sodium 77mg, Carbohydrates 14g, Fiber 1.5g