Radiation Protection Guidelines Policy
The student is required to practice sound radiation protection practices at all times. At no time may a student use any type of unsafe radiation practices or principles while performing exams or procedures. Unsafe practices of any sort are grounds for immediate dismissal from the radiography school. Unsafe practices include, but are not limited to:
- Taking exposures, intentionally or unintentionally, on another student in the clinical area. All exposures on human subjects are to be taken for a valid medical reason and must be ordered by a physician.
- Attempting any procedure under the indirect supervision of a registered technologist until competency has been achieved.
- Repeating radiographic images without the direct supervision of a registered technologist.
A student will always wear a personnel dosimeter while in the clinical areas to include radiology, surgery, CT, special procedures, portable examinations or any other areas dispensing ionizing radiation.
Personnel dosimeters are to be worn at the collar level and outside the lead apron. If a student becomes a patient for any reason or is having diagnostic x-rays the personnel dosimeter is to be removed from the room or source of ionizing radiation.
Additional responsibilities of the student include:
- Wearing of a current personnel dosimeter when in the clinical area. Failure to wear a dosimeter will be grounds for student suspension until the badge has been retrieved.
- Any loss of dosimeters, accidents or misuse of a dosimeter must be reported to the Program Director immediately.
- At the end of each recording cycle, each student is responsible for turning in and replacing the dosimeter with the most current dosimeter and initialing the cyclical report of their current status of acquired dose.
In accordance with the ALARA principle, the program has set the following limit for exposure that should not be exceeded:
125 mrem per calendar quarter, whole body and gonadal radiation
If this level is obtained, the student will be counseled by the RSO and Program Director.